The Folsom Library offers open seating for more than 500 people at tables, study carrels, and various group study and meeting room facilities.
Much of the open seating, which is located along the perimeters of the third and fourth floors, usually offers a combination of wireless and/or Ethernet service. Study seating is also available on the first and second floors, but these areas are adjacent to lobbies and offices and are, therefore, not as quiet.
All library users are expected to maintain a conducive study environment by minimizing conversations, using headphones for audio listening, and holding private cell phone conversations outside or in the stairwells.
Group Study Rooms
Several group study rooms located on the third and fourth floors of the Folsom Library can be reserved online. These rooms are available for up to three hours daily by any Rensselaer-affiliated group of two or more persons.
There are also small group study rooms on the first, third, and fourth floors of Folsom Library that are left unlocked for individuals and groups to use on a first-come, first-use basis. Individuals may be asked to relocate if a group requests room use.
Conditions of Group Study Room Use
The following conditions exist for all groups who use the study rooms:
- Two or more people must occupy the study room for the duration of the reservation.
- The reservation holder will ensure that furniture is returned to its original configuration, lock the study room upon exit, and return the key to the Folsom Library Service Desk.
- All study groups are expected to keep their conversation at an appropriate level to avoid disturbing other library users.
- Study groups may not move furniture and equipment into or out of a study room without the permission of the Library Service Desk staff.
- These spaces are not to be used by TA's for holding office hours.
- The Libraries assume no responsibility for the loss of or damage to personal property left in a study room at any time.
Individuals or groups who blatantly or repeatedly violate the above conditions of use may lose their study room privileges for the current academic semester.