The Rensselaer Libraries attempt to obtain materials without cost to researchers whenever possible, either by seeking free use of materials from other libraries or by subsidizing most of these costs for current Rensselaer faculty, staff and students.
How much will it cost?
- Most book loans and electronic copies of journal articles supplied within the Capital District can be provided without charge.
- Materials obtained outside of the Capital District occasionally may exceed library subsidies.
- Researchers can specify the amount they are personally willing to pay for a document by entering a dollar value in the appropriate ILLiad system field.
How do I pay for my items?
- Researchers need to create account information within their ILLiad user record. To do this, log into the ILLiad system, and click the EDIT/CREATE ACCOUNTS option located at the bottom of ILLiad's Main Menu screen.
- Researchers who are authorized to use research or departmental funds should enter those codes as their ILLiad account numbers. Graduate and undergraduate students may specify to have charges added to their tuition accounts by entering the word "Bursar" in place of an account number.
Who's not subsidized?
Document subsidies are not provided to employees of companies located in either the Emerging Ventures Ecosystem (EVE) or Rensselaer Technology Park, as they are not otherwise affiliated with Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.