When you see: button or the text "Get it @ RPI" in a database, you can click on it to see if the Rensselaer Libraries have access to the item.
If the full text for an item is not available online, Get it @ RPI also provides links to search the Library catalog or "Request via Interlibrary Loan".
- For Interlibrary Loan and ILLiad, you will be prompted to log into the system using your RCS ID and password. The information for the item will automatically populate the request form; check the information for accuracy, and then submit it.
Most databases will display Get it @ RPI links automatically if you access the database from the Libraries' Quick Search or Catalog. However, PubMed and Google Scholar sometimes need to be configured to display links to Get it @ RPI.
Get it @ RPI in Google Scholar
If you are accessing Google Scholar from on-campus, Get it @ RPI links will show automatically. If you are accessing Google Scholar from off-campus, you can turn on Get it @ RPI links in two ways:
Method 1: Link to Google Scholar from the Rensselaer Libraries' website
- Get it @ RPI links will show if you link to Google Scholar from the databases list on the Rensselaer Libraries' website. You will be prompted to authenticate using your RCS ID and password or Library account information.
Method 2: Setting preferences in Google Scholar
- Go to Google Scholar.
- Click on Settings.
- Click on Library Links.
- Type Rensselaer in the search box and click the magifying glass button.
- Check the box for "Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute - Get it @ RPI".
- You can also leave the "Open WorldCat - Library Search" box checked. When a book appears in a Google Scholar results list, the Library Search link allows you to see what nearby libraries (including the Rensselaer Libraries) have the book.
- Click on Save at the bottom of the screen.
- When you do this, a cookie is saved on your computer that tells Google Scholar to display Get it @ RPI links for journal article citations. If you clear your cookies, or access Google Scholar from a different computer, you will need to set your preferences again.
Get it @ RPI links in PubMed
You will need a (free) My NCBI account to set preferences for Get it @ RPI in PubMed.
- Go to PubMed.
- Create or log in to your My NCBI account. Use the "Sign in to NCBI" link in the upper right corner.
- Go to the National Center for Biotechnology Information website to access your My NCBI Preferences.
- Under PubMed Preferences, click on Outside Tool.
- In the resulting list, click on "R" and then select Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute from the list. Then click the Save button.
- Remember that you need to be logged into your My NCBI account for Get it @ RPI links to show in PubMed.