- Borrowing Privileges
Books and other materials from the Rensselaer Libraries' collections may be borrowed by persons who are in compliance with Conditions of Loan and who have one of the following means of identification:
- Rensselaer ID Card - Issued to faculty, staff and students and to their dependents and spouses, Guests of the Institute, and Rensselaer retirees of all Rensselaer Campuses. More information here.
- Rensselaer Alumni and Friends of the Library - Current NYS Driver's License or other comparable picture ID.
- CDLC Direct Access Card - Issued by other area libraries to area residents who are not affiliated with Rensselaer.
Eligible borrowers must:
- Renew loans or return materials within specified time periods.
- Return materials after being notified of another patron's "Recall From Loan" request within 10 days. (Vacations or other absences from campus do not exempt borrowers from this condition.)
- Accept responsibility for payment of any fines for overdue materials or replacement costs for materials lost or damaged while on loan.
The Libraries use email for overdue, recall and billing notifications. Rensselaer users should regularly check email and maintain current directory information. Mailed notifications will be sent to unaffiliated borrowers who do not have email addresses.
Borrowers may renew loans in person at the Service Desk, by telephone (x8310), or by accessing their library account page. Loans will be extended provided that:
- items are not needed for Class Reserve or by another borrower;
- less than 10 days have elapsed since the expiration of the loan
- the borrower does not have other delinquent loans, unsettled fines, or suspended borrowing privileges.
Ten (10) days after the item is due or has been recalled, it becomes overdue and borrowers may be billed for the full replacement cost plus a $20.00 processing fee for each unreturned item.
Borrowers will be billed for the repair or replacement cost of library materials if they are returned damaged.
Replacement costs are generally obtained from library acquisitions data and other professional sources. Replacement costs may include an additional $150.00 search fee for out-of-print materials.
General borrowing privileges will be suspended for individuals who owe fines or who have overdue ConnectNY or Interibrary loan books.
Unsettled fines are considered deliquent 30 days after issue. Rensselaer student fines can be paid at the Bursar's Office. Bills to all other borrowers must be paid at the Libraries' Service Desks.
Ownership of billed library material resides with Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Payment of replacement costs and/or other charges does not transfer ownership.
Borrowing privileges may remain suspended until billed materials are returned to the Library regardless of the payment status of bills.Inquiries concerning billing should be directed to the Folsom Service Desk Mondays through Fridays between 8:00 AM and 4:00 PM and to the Architecture Service Desk Monday through Fridays between 8:30 PM and 4:30 PM. Borrowers believing a billing or other record-keeping error has occurred may appeal loss of borrowing privileges, bills or both in writing to the Manager of Public Services.
All loans are subject to recall by the Libraries.
- Materials needed for Class Reserve may be recalled from loan at any time.
- Materials needed by another borrower may be recalled three (3) weeks after date of loan.
Borrowers failing to return recalled loans within specified time periods will be billed for replacement costs plus processing fees.
When a recalled item has been returned, the requestor will receive an email notification and the item will be held at the Service Desk for 10 days pending pick-up by the requestor.
Rensselaer library materials should be returned directly to the Folsom or Architecture Library Service Desks. Materials may also be sent to the Libraries by Campus Mail or returned to the Folsom Library via a book-drop located outside of the Main Entrance. However, the Libraries assume no responsibility for materials returned by these indirect methods. Receipts for return of Rensselaer Libraries' materials may be requested.
Materials borrowed directly from other area libraries with a CDLC Direct Access Card, Interlibrary Loan or ConnectNY may also be returned to the Folsom Library, but the library accepts no responsibility regarding these items.
The Service Desk staff will assist borrowers to look for materials in the stacks that they claim to have returned to the library. Fines and replacement costs associated with claimed returns, however, are not automatically waived.
This page is maintained by the Public Services Department - rev. 1/29/15.