Online Reference Shelf: Art & Architecture
Access to some of these resources is restricted to Rensselaer IP addresses. The symbol follows those databases restricted to Rensselaer users. Off-campus Rensselaer users accessing via non-Rensselaer ISPs MUST USE the Libraries' Web Proxy Service.
The DiCamillo Companion to British & Irish
The companion's database allows you to search by house name, country, current district, historic county, name of architect, start date, completion date, etc. It's currently got over 6,000 listings.
- Dictionary of Architectural Terms
- Great Buildings Collection Online "More than 800 great buildings from around the world and across history are listed below and illustrated at this web site? with photographic images, architectural drawings, discussion, bibliography, architect info, and live 3D walkthrough computer models."
- Grove Dictionary of Art Online
Means Building Glossary
- Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians Online
- ArtLex: Visual Arts Dictionary
- Dictionary of Art Historians
- ULAN: Union List of Artists Names ULAN includes more than 100,000 names of artists, architects, etc which are supplemented with citations to thousands of sources.
on the Web: Directory of Architectural Firms
"ProFile on the Web is a search engine for locating architecture firms and businesses in the United States. It is derived from the complete ProFile database and ProFile, the Architects Sourcebook, published by CMD and The American Institute of Architects (AIA)."
AskART is a searchable, comprehensive database about American artists on the Internet.
- The Artcyclopedia
"Abacus Construction Index is a searchable directory of more than 1,500 websites and online documents for UK constrcution professionals".
The Blue Book of
Building and Construction
The construction industry information network which includes over 800,000 company listings, industry classifications, and over 46,000 display ads.
- Construction Web Resource Guide Covers resources in architecture, engineering, environment, and financing.
- 4 Specs.com Claims to provide comprehensive access to over 4,000 manufacturers' websites.
Sweets.com is the construction professionals' primary
search engine, featuring product data and construction
industry news on the Internet. The Architecture Library
also subscribes to Sweet's CD which is "an
electronic product-selection and specification tool
offering such digital content as an integrated CAD library,
photos, illustrations, technical drawings and three-part
In the reference print collection of the Architecture Library one can also consult the General Building Sweet's Catalog File - Architects, Engineers & Contractors Edition , Sweet's Homebuilding & Remodeling Catalog File, Sweet's Accessible Building Products Catalog File, Sweet's Light Source Catalog File, Contract Interiors, and Sweet's Directory.