IHSS 1210-01 Information in History & Society
Posted: Aug 27, 2014
General Library Orientation
- The Rensselaer Libraries' Survival Guide
- An introduction to the services and resources of Rensselaer Research Libraries.
- Safari Tech Books Online
- Rensselaer Libraries' Catalog
- Use the catalog to locate books, electronic resources, periodicals and other library materials.
- Invention Timeline
- A history time line of twentieth 20th century inventions 1900 to 1925
- Academic Universe (Lexis-Nexis)
- News and popular magazines. Coverage dates back more than 20 years for many areas.
- ABI Inform
- Business news and magazines. Provides abstracting and indexing from 1971 forward for over 1,300 titles, including 200 English language foreign publications; full text for over 600 journals, 1992 on; full image for most journals from 1992 on.
- Newspaper Source
- Database of newspaper articles
Government Information & Statistics
- Thomas: Legislative Information on the Internet
- Government Information on the Internet
- InfoTech Trend
Special Web Sites
- The Dead Media Project
- Archives of the Dead Media Email List, a discussion forum concerned with "dead" or outdated media technologies.
- Early History of Data Networks
- Online presentation of the history of transmitting data. Some broken links and images, but still contains some valuable information.
- The American Experience: The Telephone
- Website companion for a PBS documentary on the history of the telephone.
- Series of timelines that trace the devlopment of popular culture and technology, among other issues.
- History of the Modem
- Brief article on the history of the computer modem.
- Computer and Internet Timeline
- Outline of the history of computing and the Internet.
- Internet History
- Article on the development of the Internet and related technologies.
- Information Age Exhibit at the National Museum of Natural History
- Smithsonian site with photographs of various information age artifacts.
This page is maintained by Matt Benzing.