Posted: Jan 20, 2017
What Is a Patent?
- Grant of property right to inventor, issued by U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- Depending on type of patent, term of new patent is from 14 to 20 years from filing date.
- U.S. patent grants effective only within U.S. and its territories and possessions.
Type of Patent
Granted to anyone who invents or discovers any new, useful, and "non-obvious" process, machine, article of manufacture, or composition of matter, or any new and useful Granted for 20 years from date of filing.
Granted to anyone who invents a new, original, and ornamental design for an article of manufacture. Granted for 14 years from date patent was granted.
Granted to anyone who invents or discovers and asexually reproduces any distinct and new variety of plant. Granted for 20 years from date of filing.
- Espacenet European Patent Office
- WIPO Worldwide intellectual property