Exporting Records from the Catalog
What is the catalog?
The catalog is a database containing most of the materials the Rensselaer Libraries own or have on order. It includes books, journals, documents, phonorecords, audio-cassettes, scores, compact discs, videos, DVDs, and software. It also includes Rensselaer theses and dissertations from 1855 to the present, and links to online subscribed electronic journals, electronic books, government documents, and reference materials.
Where is the catalog?
There are several ways to get to the catalog.
- Go to the Rensselaer Libraries homepage at library.rpi.edu.
- From RPInfo, select "Catalog" under "Academics and Research", next to "Rensselaer Libraries"
- Or access the catalog directly at opac.lib.rpi.edu.
- You can also install the LibX toolbar and search the catalog from your browser anywhere on the web.
How do I save and export records from the catalog?
- Conduct a search in the catalog.
- Place a check in the "Mark" box for each record you want to save.
- Click on the "Save Marked Records" button at the top of the left-hand column before viewing the next page.
- When you have selected all the records you wish to export, click on the "View Saved" button at the top of the page.
- Click on the "Export Saved" button, select the desired format and destination, and click "submit". See below for an explanation of available formats and destinations.
Pro-Cite, End-Note, and Refworks are commonly used bibliographic tools. Records may be exported in formated text files compatible with these tools. MARC stands for "Machine-Readable Cataloging." A MARC record is a standardized catalog record commonly used in libraries.
- E-Mail: Records will be sent in the selected format to the e-mail address entered in the "Mail To" field. The e-mail's subject line will read "From the Libraries' Catalog."
- Screen: Records will display in your browser in the selected format.
- Local Disk: The records will be output to a file called "export.txt" and you will be prompted to save them to your computer. Text files will be formated according to the format selected.