COMM 1510 Introduction to Communication Theory
Introduction to Communication Theory
X8324 3rd floor Library Rm 337C
1. Interlibrary Loan https://illiad.lib.rpi.edu/illiad/YRM/logon.html
Register to use ILL when you need resources (books, journal articles, conference
proceedings etc.) the library doesn‘t have. Takes an average of 3 days.
2. Connect NY look for books
that we don’t have but are available through the
consortium and delivered to Folsom in three to four days. Can use this system if we have a
book but it is checked out.
3. Catalog lists the books,
periodicals, government documents, and archives &
manuscript collections owned by the Libraries. The catalog does not provide access to
specific articles in journals, magazines and newspapers.
Reading the catalog:
Books from our library [get 16 weeks loan]
Due [date] unavailable; may put a hold on book
BILLED book is overdue BILLED AND PAID book may or may not be reordered
HOLD someone is waiting to take book out after it is returned. First patron gets
book for 3 weeks only.
IN PROCESS book has been ordered, received and is awaiting cataloging
FOLSOM RESERVE request for book at service desk, can not be checked out
( 1 hour unless more time is requested by professor)
ARCH LIB Architecture Library; third floor of the Greene building
FOLSOM REFERENCE on the second floor, can not be checked out
1. Encyclopedias for overview, background and general understanding
- Credo Reference (general dictionaries, encyclopedias,
- Search for: persuasion
2. Journal Articles by topic using the following Databases:
Search: mass communication
Select Title from the drop-down
Limit by date: 2008 to present
Communication and Mass Media Complete
Academic Search Complete
The above databases can be searched as a group using EBSCOhost.
2. Web of Science -
Journal database mostly used to find articles more current than what you have. Instead of using a bibliography and going back this allows you to go forward and find articles that cited in their bibliography your journal article.
- Look for journals that cited: AM Cohen (1962)"Changing small group communication networks" in Administrative Science Quarterly 6, 443-462
- Look for: "small group communication" as a Topic