Using EndNote Web
I. Download Installers to Mozilla & Internet Explorer (also get Cite While You Write); Get Plug in Toolbar
Enables you to access EndNote Web from your browser without typing in a URL, enables you to manually input parameters into a citation format, and gives you a toolbar in MS Word.
1. Register http://www.myendnoteweb.com
2. Click on EndNote Web Login (on left)
3. Click on Sign-up for an account
4. When done - go back to EndNote Web Login page
5. Type in your email and password
6. Click on Download Installers (blue/bottom of page)
7. See instructions below:
(Instructions from EndNote Web)
To download and install the Cite While You Write plug-in to use with Word or Internet Explorer toolbar for Windows:
- Log in to the local machine with administrative rights or as a user with program installation privileges.
- If an older version of the plug-in is installed, follow the uninstall instructions.
- Close all open windows of Microsoft Word and Outlook.
- Making sure you are logged into the EndNote Web site in a Web browser, click the Download Installers link at the bottom of any page.
- Click the Download Windows link to save the EndNoteWeb.exe installer to your computer.
- Click the Run button, or Open depending on your browser, when prompted in the 'Download Complete' window. This will launch the installation program.
- If prompted to confirm the publisher, select Run.
- If prompted, select whether or not you would like EndNote Web to import direct export files from data provider web sites. Do not select EndNote Web if you wish to continue exporting references directly to EndNote, Reference Manager, or ProCite.
- Continue with the installation.
- On the Set Server screen, select the type of EndNote Web server account you will be using.
- Default - Select default if you are accessing EndNote Web through www.myendnoteweb.com or myendnoteweb.com.
- Advanced - If you are accessing some other EndNote Web server location where the EndNote Web homepage address does not match the subscription address above, select this server option.
- To verify the installation of Cite While You Write, open Word and look for the Cite While You Write toolbar.
- To verify the installation of the Internet Explorer toolbar, open Internet Explorer and look for the EndNote Web toolbar. If it is not visible, select the View menu, Toolbars and check EndNote Web.
EndNote Web Tutorial - Part I:
II. Using EndNote Web (from Web of Science)
1. At Web of Science: Do your search - Get citations
2. Select citations (Box buttons)
3. Click on "Save to My EndNote Web" (above citations)
4. Click on "My EndNote Web" [top in blue]
5. Click Unfiled or other Folder
6. Unfiled (left) - will display # of citations
7. Click on Bibliography (Under Format Tab)
Select Reference Unfiled (or other folder)
Select Bibliographic Style APA (or other format)[need to customize list]
Select File Format RTF [for use in Word]
8. Save to ...MS Word
9. Open MS Word
EndNote Web Tutorial - Part II:
III. Using EndNote Web (With Other Databases)
Online Searching (only for FREE resources ie.: PubMed & RPI catalog)
Note: "Connections to online databases through EndNote Web originate from the EndNote Web server rather than your connection, so IP authentication or proxy authentication will not take place,..."
1. Go to EndNote Web Library
2. Click on tab Collect - Search Online Database
3. Can customize this list
4. Select database & search
5. Select citations (box buttons)
6. Select Unfiled
7. Repeat steps 7 to 9 above
EndNote Web Tutorial - Part III:
IV. Importing References (Other Subscribed Databases)
Check web for Import Format information generated by libraries for databases not listed on sheet.
1. Go to EndNote Web Library
2. Click on Import References (Under Collect)
3. Copy favorites to Import Filters (Up to 25) - needed at the EndNote end [customize this list]
4. Look at Import Formats http://library.rpi.edu/update.do?artcenterkey=1758 - needed at the database end.
5. Go to a subscribed database and Select Citations.
6. Export to Desktop [Some databases will export directly to EndNote Web]
7. Follow Import Reference
8. Follow directions 6-9 above
EndNote Web Tutorial - Part IV: