Subsidiary, Branch, Affiliate, Division, or Joint Venture
indicates a resource for which access is restricted to current Rensselaer students, faculty and staff, and walk-in users of the Libraries. If you are accessing such a database via a non-Rensselaer Internet Service Provider, you will be prompted to use your RCS ID and password or library account to log in.
- Parent - A company that operates and controls other
separately chartered businesses.
Example: Hershey Co (Hershey, PA) is the parent company of Y & S Candies (Lancaster, PA).
- Subsidiary: An organization with stock that is over 50%
owned by another company, the parent company.
Example - Dagoba Organic Chocolate (Ashland, OR) is a subsidiary of Hershey Chocolate and Confectionary Company (Hershey, PA).
- Branch - A secondary location of a business. A branch
carries the parent company name and reports to the company
Example: GE Commercial Finance of Puerto Rico (Branch) - (San Juan, PR)
- Affiliate - A separately chartered business whose shares
are owned by one or more companies, with the level of
ownership by any one company generally less than 50
Example: C&T Corporation - (Seoul, Korea (South) is an affiliate of Samsung Group Seoul,Korea (South).
- Division - A separate operating unit of a corporation. A
division may have its own officers, but it is not
incorporated and does not issue stock. Divisions often have a
commonly known business name that is different from the
parent company name.
Example: GE Industrial - Plaineville, CT (Division) of General Electric Company - Fairfield, CT
- Joint Venture - A business in which 2 or more companies
share responsibility and ownership.
Example: DuPont Performance Elastomers LLC (Joint Venture) - Wilmington, DE
Use Lexis-Nexis Academic to find a Subsidiary, Branch, Affiliate, Division, or Joint Venture:
- Go to http://library.rpi.edu. Click on articles-journal tab in A to Z list. Click L. Click LexisNexis Academic.
- From left frame, click Companies. From left frame, click Company Dossier.
- Enter company name in Company Search box. Click Find button. If more than one result, click on best match. From left frame, click on Company Hierarchy link.
Colette O. Holmes, Business Librarian, Folsom Library, Troy, NY