Accessing Full Text Resources Using Get it @ RPI
Get it @ RPI is a tool that connects you from a database citation to available fulltext and other services from the Rensselaer Libraries. When you see this image: or the text "Get it @ RPI" in a database, you can click on it to find out whether the Rensselaer Libraries have access to the item. If the fulltext for an item is not available online, Get it @ RPI also gives you options to search the library catalog for a print copy or submit an interlibrary loan request.
Easier Interlibrary Loans with Get it @ RPI
Placing an interlibrary loan request from the Get it @ RPI menu is faster and more convenient than entering your request manually into the interlibrary loan system. If you have already used Get it @ RPI to determine that we do not have access to the item you want online or in print, you can use the "Request via Interlibrary Loan" link on the Get it @ RPI screen to initiate an interlibrary loan request.
You will first be prompted to log into the interlibrary loan system using your RCS ID and password, and then the information for the item will be automatically copied from Get it @ RPI into the interlibrary loan form. Check the information over, and then submit it!
Turning on Get it @ RPI links in Google Scholar and PubMed
Most databases will display Get it @ RPI links automatically if you access the database from the Libraries' webpages or catalog. However, PubMed and Google Scholar sometimes need to be configured to display links to Get it @ RPI.
If you are accessing Google Scholar from on campus, Get it @ RPI links will show automatically. If you are accessing Google Scholar from off campus, you can turn on Get it @ RPI links in two ways:
Method 1: Link to Google Scholar from the Rensselaer Libraries' website
Get it @ RPI links will show if you link to Google Scholar from the articles · journals tab, or any other place on the Rensselaer Libraries' website. You will be prompted to authenticate using your RCS ID and password or library account information.
Method 2: Setting preferences in Google Scholar
- Go to Google Scholar.
- Click on "Settings".
- Click on "Library Links".
- Type rensselaer in the search box and click the magifying glass button.
- Check the box for "Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute - Get it @ RPI".
- You can also leave the "Open WorldCat - Library Search"
box checked. When a book appears in a Google Scholar results
list, the Library Search link allows you to see what nearby
libraries (including the Rensselaer Libraries) have the
- Click on "Save" at the bottom of the screen.
When you do this, a cookie is saved on your computer that tells Google Scholar to display Get it @ RPI links for journal article citations. If you clear your cookies, or access Google Scholar from a different computer, you will need to set your preferences again.
You will need a (free) My NCBI account to set preferences for Get it @ RPI in PubMed.
- Go to PubMed.
- Create or log in to your My NCBI account. Use the "Sign in to NCBI" link in the upper right corner.
- Go to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/myncbi/preferences/ to access your My NCBI Preferences.
- Under PubMed Preferences, click on Outside Tool.
- In the resulting list, click on "R" and then select Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute from the list. Then click the Save button.
- Remember that you need to be logged into your My NCBI account for Get it @ RPI links to show in PubMed.
Contact the Libraries.
This page is maintained by Katie Dunn.