Rensselaer Architecture Library
Organization of School:
The School of Architecture is one of five schools at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Rensselaer is the nation's oldest technological university. A nonsectarian, coeducational institution, the university offers degrees from five schools: Engineering, Science, Architecture, Humanities, Arts and Social Sciences, and the Lally School of Management and Technology, as well as interdisciplinary degrees in information technology. More than 140 degree programs in nearly 60 fields lead to bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees.
The School of Architecture offers bachelor's, master's and PhD programs. Foremost among them are the five-year Bachelor of Architecture (B. Arch) and the three-and-a-half-year Master of Architecture (M. Arch I). The School also offers the Doctor of Philosophy degree in Architectural Sciences. The master's and doctoral degrees in science and architectural sciences are research oriented programs with concentrations in Built Ecologies, Architectural Acoustics, and Lighting. .
Primary Population (2007-2008):
23 FTE architecture faculty
58 graduate students
301 undergraduate students
History of the Architecture Library:
The Architecture Library's collection was begun in 1929 and the branch facility established in 1930. It now occupies approximately 4700 square feet on the east side of the Greene Building's third floor. The physical collection has grown to 32,000 print titles housed in the facility and over 117,000 slides. The visual resources collections now include an increasing number of digitized images (50,000), and multi-media material on architecture, design and the visual arts, as well as traditional maps, drawings, prints, photographs and microform collections. The library frequently receives a Capital District Library Council grant to purchase architectural materials. These funds have enabled the architecture librarian to purchase materials of a more popular nature for various age groups and to serve a diverse group of users throughout the Capital District.
Because the Architecture Library is one of Rensselaer's libraries it also shares in an incredibly rich collection of resources in both print and electronic formats. While Folsom Library serves as the central library, the Architecture Library supports the School of Architecture programs. The total collections now number one-half million volumes of books on open-access shelves, as well as scholarly journals, technical reports, government-document series and multi-media material. The Web gateway for the libraries, called RensSearch, provides online access to thousands of electronic books and full text journals and nearly 300 research databases and reference resources. The Rensselaer community can access many of these resources both on and off campus. Increased participation in library consortia and their sponsored programs, such as ConnectNY, now facilitates access to the collections of other libraries and enables our users to borrow materials expediently from other participant libraries in the state.