Rensselaer Architecture Library
5th Year Thesis Submission
At the request of the School of Architecture, the Architecture Library binds, catalogs and stores print and electronic copies of the architecture undergraduate 5th year thesis books. In order to do this, students are required to follow the guidelines listed below. All questions of content, academic requirements and approval should be directed to faculty advisor and the School of Architecture.
Once submitted, the library will notify advisors that theses are available for review. If approved, the thesis books will be added to the Architecture Library collections.
If you have any questions about the library's requirements, contact the Architecture Library.
Submission Requirements for PRINT Version: (VIEW COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS)
- Print on 8 ½ “x 11” acid-free archival bond paper; there are laser jet and color laser jet papers you can purchase which are noted as acid free and archive-safe; some are produced by vendors such as Hammermill and HP; look for these descriptors when purchasing paper. Printing on acid free, archival safe paper should insure that your project books will be long lasting.
- Enclose in envelope w/ copy of title page attached
- Title page must include name, date, title and advisor’s name
- Margins must be no less than 1/2" ; left margin (binding edge) must be no less than 3/4"
- Be aware that the binder will trim 1/8" from all margins before binding.
- Oversized pages must be folded in a manner that will not interfere with binding (fold must be at least 3/4" away from binding edge)
- Supplemental materials must be labeled with name, title & date on each item.
B.Arch Project Book Submission Form (VIEW SUBMISSION FORM)
Submission Requirements for ELECTRONIC Version:
NOW REQUIRED! Rensselaer Research Libraries are now accepting electronic copies of theses. (Paper copies are still a requirement.) Please participate by submitting a CD with the following elements.
- A JPG (72 dpi, 3” x 2”) thumbnail file depicting thesis illustration/image OR title page
- A PDF file of abstract or introduction
- A PDF of entire thesis
- Optional supplemental files (image, video, audio etc.) in accepted formats. Contact Jeanne Keefe for details.
- As long as the paper is acid-free archival paper, the weight/thickness of the paper can vary.
- As long as your advisor approves, double sided printing is acceptable to the bindery as long as there is no bleed through.
- Landscape printing is fine as long as you follow margin requirements. The book itself will still be bound in the traditional portrait orientation.
- Full bleed pages also need to follow the left side margin requirements for binding; if you do not want your full bleed pages trimmed please notify the library staff when submitting your project book.
- Transparencies are acceptable.
- The library can not bind additional personal copies. The RPI bookstore has a binding service. They also usually stock thesis appropriate paper.
Graduate students please note: Submit your thesis to the Graduate Office. The Graduate Office has specific academic requirements and deadlines for thesis submission. Contact the School of Architecture and the Graduate Office for details. http://www.rpi.edu/dept/grad/
The official copy submitted to the Graduate Office will be available at Folsom Library. An optional secondary copy of your thesis may be submitted to the Architecture Library to be bound and kept at the Architecture Library.